Friday, August 17, 2012

Getting Started

Recently I decided I wanted to build a garage diorama to display my model cars. I searched the internet and couldn't find any "starter" type kits. I decided I would try to build my own from scratch with no previous experience and a very tight budget. I will be doing my best to document the progress and the budget.

Just a mock up of the Mopar Garage.

The shelf was originaly the tire rack but I used some blue cardboard to make shelves.



The tool chest was from a small kit, I added the decals from one of my Charger kits

The oil drum and gas can are from the same kit and the decals are from one of my Charger kits as well
Garage fodder, Some of the random bits left over from model kits,
 I started with a shoe box as a mock up to give me an idea of scale and what I wanted as far as garage design. Eventually, I will be using foam board for the walls and floor and will be covering the floor with (possibly) contact paper. I am going to be using a lot of the extra parts from my model cars as garage fodder and since they are from kits I won't be factoring them into the budget. I have bought a small accessory set with a tool chest, ramps, tire rack, oil drum and air compressor. I plan to buy an engine hoist, floor jack, and jack stands. I am also planning to build the shelves and benches myself from styrene and wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment